Friday, April 17, 2009

Kelsey

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008
9:47 am - Kelsey
I had ten whole days off from work. From July 3rd to July 13th. I took it off mostly because of Robert. It was going to be two years since he died on the 10th, and I wanted to be off in case something like a memorial for him came up. I also just didn't feel like being at work during that time. The days leading up to the 10th were uncomfortable. Highly emotional and a feeling of dread that was very strong.
When I came back to work on the 14th, I noticed my co-worker Kelsey was limping. Kelsey is the daughter of another co-worker named Susan. I have known Susan for 20 some years and she has two daughters, Dani and Kelsey. Dani is the same age as Elizabeth and Kelsey is maybe two years younger then they are. Susan stopped working at the clinic, but Dani and Kelsey are working here. Annette, my supervisor, was in the room and said to me, "Kelsey was in an accident last week and is quite frankly lucky to be alive!" So Kelsey started to tell me what happened. "Last Thursday, my dad and I were driving on Altamont Pass when someone a few cars in front of us slammed on their brakes. My dad slamm
ed on our brakes and we swerved, the car rolled over and almost went off the "cliff"." Luckily, they both had on seat belts and were only bruised and beaten. I was of course horrified and started thinking about last Thursday, that was July 10th. Damned July 10th! My throat got immediately tight, I felt like I was going to cry. "Kelsey", I said, "July 10th is the day my nephew Robert died, two years ago." Then Dani showed me a picture of their car on her cell phone. It was an Explorer and it was demolished. Windshield smashed in and the roof looked like it was coming off. "Do you know how lucky you and your dad are?", I said. She of course knows how lucky they are. I told her she better be careful. Never go anywhere or do anything on July 10th, anyone!!!!
Kelsey escaped with her life that day. July 10th sucks big time, I despise it more then I ever did before.

No comments:

Post a Comment